The beauty of this interview is how they met via Gary’s team using Instagram to look for influential people in his ecosystem that have their own solid following and audience.
“Leaders create Leaders, Leaving a Legacy with Gary Vaynerchuk”
You can learn a lot from YouTube…
You can also learn a lot from the minds of executors like Gary Vaynerchuk and Seth Godin.
You can also learn a lot by watching, listening, and taking key points or themes that hit you in the gut because hey you feel that way too..
And sometimes what you learn is.. great minds don’t think alike they think different.. or do they.. ?
Gary recently had a really good episode probably the best by far of his Ask Gary Vee Showwwwwwwww.. It was with the legendary blogger, writer, author Seth Godin.
Really he is a legend in the marketing space.. Seth had the first email newsletter blog, even if you Google the word “blog” his site comes up 4th, first page of Google.
And by linking to him here might push that a bit higher by the time you read this.
That being said people know with all his past and continued success he doesn’t use Social Media in the capacity Gary does and just automatically tweets out his blog posts.
One thing I noticed is this episode caught FIRE!.. Comments went nuts and every time I would search “gary vaynerchuk” on YouTube it was showing up first page of YouTube for his name ever since the episode aired a month ago.
And low and behold in one month it has 65,168 views about to catch and beat his 1,4 year old keynotes at USC & Remax and on it’s way to be the #1 watched and most popular Ask Gary Vee episode passing #26 from a year ago (Am I an Entrepreneur or not) and the current #1 Ask Gary Vee Show thanks to Casey Neistat audience power #128…
So why is that? Here’s what I think…
- It was the first episode where the guest and Gary Vaynerchuk didn’t agree pretty much throughout
- Secretly, people agree with Seth Godin and already know “they are the product” on social media and sometimes are not really doing “work” with it or on it
- Gary interrupted throughout which made it look like he was in an oh shit moment, <the dude I respect thinks my whole business (selling social media) is to sell against people’s attention of wasting time on it..> (Seth said he would walk out…)
- People respect both Gary & Seth as they have proven results time and time again on executing things their own way
- Seeing two people with different perspectives that both win in different ways is interesting
Bottom-line, at the end of the video if you really watch what happens is Gary actually agrees in a sense with Seth because he admits as he has time and time again, that he doesn’t read books, doesn’t consume on social media, doesn’t use it like the way Seth describes.
And to Seth’s point people that don’t are usually more successful making an impact in their own way on the world with their body of work and what they do by having a focus on that first.
Check out this video where Grant Cardone gives a breakdown on how he uses social media to increase attention, traffic, leads, and sales. He is a social media sales beast and had a great approach to the “social sales”, “social selling” buzzword..
If you have been in sales like me since you were 15, you know it’s a just using social media platforms whether its researching, connecting, or building relationships to sell more shit. Just like “inside” sales or selling = cold calling, “outside” sales = takes appts. set by inside sales, door knocks, or glorified in person sales person ect..
Now Social sales or social selling is taking all of these social networks and social media platforms to increase the “KNOW< LIKE > TRUST” that is the foundation of sales and sales 101.
He points out you need to know before you start social selling..
- Do you have the energy
- Who’s going to do it
- What content will you drop on each network since it best according to each social media platform
During Social Selling follow these rules:
- Promote like a celebrity
- Identify each line you have (each social media network)
- Build a message for each social media platform
- Push Content every day on every social network
- Become omnipresence
- Use the 80/20 rule.. give 80% of the time 20% of the time — similar to Jab, Jab, Jab Right hook model by Gary Vaynerchuk
Literally, the time Gary Vaynerchuk went on stage at SXSW 2016 (11:30 AZ time) we had a meeting with a client. However, the beauty of this digital world we don’t have to fly to Austin, TX and be at SXSW 2016 to actually see the vibe of Gary Vaynerchuk around this time and at the event.
What we can do is go to Twitter.com/search (es) for Gary Vaynerchuks talks, keynotes and digital bits and watch Periscopes or search YouTube to get his golden nuggets from the event to keep ahead of the trend in Social Media, Entrepreneurship and sales.
From what we can tell even leading up to the Gary Vaynerchuk speaking event at SXSW he has some new themes around business, hustle, and entrepreneurs he has been bringing to the forefront lately and he expressed some of these things again in some of the videos so check them out.
- Snapchat is everywhere and is the new word for “selfie” <meaning can we take a snapchat..?> (similar to when people say “google” it..)
- Fake entrepreneurs will be using our job boards soon
- VR (virtual reality) is way too early
- Do what you want to do, not what he does.
- Figure out why you want to do what you think you want to do … first
- Lonnnnnng Game
- How you make your money > how much money you make
- You don’t have to make milli a year to win.. if you do what makes you happy you win
UPDATED! Here is Gary Vaynerchuk’s 2016 SXSW Keynote
People aren’t marketing in the world we live in “day trading attention”
Go where the consumer attention is
Facebook is underpriced
Gary thinks government needs to stop with the bullshit layers and become more entrepreneurial and get shit done “Washington is the worst version of corporate america”
IRL #AskGaryVee show after his SXSW 2016 keynote
Break out app of SXSW is “Fake Entrepreneurship”
Gary Vaynerchuk meets his fans, Have Patience
If we find any other videos we will add to this list and keep it updated for anyone searching Gary Vaynerchuk SXSW 2016 content. Also, if you haven’t bought his new Ask Gary Vee Book click here to get in a day or two from Amazon.
Snapchat just got Kim Kardashian on Snapchat thanks to the DJ Khaled effect. She even used DJ Khaled slang to make the announcement..
Snapchat alert! I’m finally on! Add me -KimKardashian 🍑 https://t.co/ULYk0EZN7T
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) March 9, 2016
This is another huge win for Snapchat since DJ Khaled blew it up in the ladder part of 2015 with getting lost on a jacuzzi and daily motivational quotes.
Why do we give credit to DJ Khaled for Kim Kardashian Snapchat?
- He created the buzz snapchat has today to make major social media marketers like Gary Vaynerchuk shift his attention and energy to the platform
- Check this post from DJ Khaled…9 weeks ago…
A video posted by DJ KHALED (@djkhaled) on
No Go Follow Kim Kardashian on Snapchat like millions of others..
Check out Kim Kardashian’s first snap!
Snapchat 🍑🍑🍑👻👻👻 pic.twitter.com/ofJMSNFqmm
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) March 9, 2016
On episode 185 of the Ask Gary Vee Show, Seth Godin stopped by to answer some questions and give his insight based on his research and proven methods to gain success.
One of the questions that Seth was asked about 19 minutes in was “19:23 – Seth has a blog but no other social media engagement. Under which conditions is this advisable?”
His answer was social media gold… (we tried to get to the gist of the answer using his words but you will see he gets interrupted by Gary several times.., so if we missed something let us know)
He says its advisable not to use social media under several conditions and his insight is having one of the most successful blogs started in 1989 as an email newsletter.
He said if you want to develop and get through the dip to be the best at something you have to say no to a lot of things. Saying no is super important. And although he could have been early with Twitter he said he would have to use his blogging or most productive time to be good at Twitter.
The punchline is this, Zig Ziglar said you can be a meaningful specific or a wandering generality. And the problem with most social media is your not the customer you are the product. It (social media) is optimized to make you anxious until you use it again. It’s optimized to extract from you nervous energy not productive output so most people that fall into it are checking one less time, checking this, posting that, liking this, why…. to keep them from doing important work.
Clay Shirky pointed out that Wikipedia got built in a decrease in Television viewing and his point is that television is dying because people have more choices and most people that are watching Gary Vaynerchuk and Seth Godin talk in this video have the ability to make a dent in the universe and we gave them a platform to do so. And they think they are advancing their cause by using multiple social media networks the way they were optimized to be used and they’re not.
And the problem Seth Godin has with social media and the people that are saying me too, plus plus, like like they think they are doing their job but they aren’t doing their job and they are hiding from their jobs. Their job is to create a body of work that earns them trust and attention.
He goes on to say everyone that makes great work was born naked, unable to read, and pooping in their diapers. Pickers are gone and the number of people picking themselves are going up. And if you can find at the end of the day and my social media universe is clean and taken care of and that’s all you have to point to today he doesn’t think that’s a good day.
Liking things on Instagram or Facebook is a way to hide from productive things you can be exposing yourself to. The productive thing is scary.
He points out if you are entertaining yourself there is nothing wrong with it and acknowledge you are entertaining yourself not doing your job. Seth then points out based on the question of why when Seth his doing his job why he isn’t using other forms of social media.
The answer is he makes himself super bored so he can be forced to doing nothing or something worthwhile. Level up by standing out not fitting in. And this is what Seth Godin so successful and trusted for 30+ years.
At the very end Gary says, “What’s funny is I don’t read things, I don’t consume anything else” which is really what Seth does as well.
Watch the full Seth Godin Ask Gary Vee Episode below and watch Gary Vaynerchuk and Seth go at it on this Social Media topic.
It’s one of the best Ask Gary Vee Show episodes ever!
This week Kanye West’s wife Kim Kardashian tweeted one of his new tracks called Real Friends that you can listen to directly on his website right now (Jan 2016, in case he changes it by the time you read this)
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) January 8, 2016
This had me thinking how he uses his website, Twitter and social media accounts to promote what he does. Whether you like him or hate him Kanye West has grown his net worth being him without worrying about what anyone else thinks and there is something to be said about that.
And when you look at Kanye West’s Twitter account you can learn even more..
1. He only follows his wife…
Kanye could care less about “following” other people whether its other famous people, musicians, or fans.. This is a good lesson on life. Be you, do you, and Focus on your own shit and people you love or family. Granted this just means he follows his wife Kim Kardashian but doesn’t mean he doesn’t read @replies or things people Tweet him on Twitter. However, looking at his engagement he hasn’t replied or RTed anyone for months or maybe ever from what I can tell.
2. His idol is Steve Jobs…
In a recent tweet Kanye shares a video of Apple’s former CEO Steve Jobs and says his idol. I bring this up because as mentioned before he doesn’t follow anyone to give them that attention on Twitter but he does many times mention people has worked with, idolizing and even gives his respect when recently David Bowie passed away.
My idol. pic.twitter.com/YGFrPhQmDP
— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) January 10, 2016
3. His only like is about LIFE which really shows his philosophy of getting the most out of this one life you possibly can…
Please: Do everything you possibly can in one lifetime.
— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) September 23, 2015
4. He has no bio and just points people directly to his site
This is a great lesson because it shows how much he takes ownership in his own stuff. Even when he released his new track real friends as I mentioned above he uses his entire website to play that one song and have people listen to what he created there vs. using other platforms or going along with the industry with spotify, itunes, or Jay Z’s tidal.
5. Collectively, he is different
If you look at how Kanye West is in the media, on social media, on Twitter, ect… He never waivers from being himself. He is one of kind plays on his strengths and doesn’t care about the opinions of others. Again, his success and Kanye’s net worth has proven the execution of a musical masterpiece of his work.
This one is good … Why ? Funny enough in the title there are two interesting elements that have extra meaning to me about “intent” and “trumps” that Gary really wasn’t meaning to touch on.
Gary’s point in this “intent” driven DailyVee is that if you start with your intention for doing something (being an entrepreneur, hiring people, creating a 500+ company, investing in companies, the way you make your money, ect..) and that intention is good then that’s all that matters.
In Gary’s case he points out his is playing a longgggg “everyone at his funeral, buy the NY jets” game… vs. everyone and their mother selling “life coaching”, internet get rich quick programs, millionaire mentor master minds for $997 in a douchey way..
Many of which have intent is to make as much money as possible and then when it burns in flames pivot to another get rich quick.
The one thing I think that relates to not just this but in social media and marketing in general that I have found is Google still rules when it comes to advertising and marketing online whether with SEO or PPC ads with Adwords it’s still brilliant and maintains Google’s #1 rank in the US because the intent of the searcher behind each keyword vs. Facebook dark posts or Social media ads that push their shit in a stream or “remarket” to a demo or a web visitor.
Another thing that hit me his the word “trumps” in this headline because last night in the GOP debate one of “Trumps” statements is that people are sick and tired of political hacks.
And this relates because people are sick of “social media” hacks and Gary trumps all of them with this dailyvee content and everything he puts out because he executes and shares value based on execution not some bullshit theory which many spit out that aren’t even entrepreneurs or still live at home with their parents.
Here’s the DailyVee 6 episode
Gary Vaynerchuk recently started a new video show called DailyVee. We updated our original Gary Vaynerchuk guide post with the first two since the holidays hit and there was a big gap we weren’t sure what this will become.
Initially we thought it could be a “daily” vlog similar to popular YouTubers BFvsGF and PrankvsPrank. Then we realized it wasn’t daily yet but was showing his “daily” life of execution to give people the visual on what it takes to be him if that is your chosen route or in your DNA.
This 3rd DailyVee is interesting because now after DJ Khaled blowing up the Snapchat space and going ham Gary seems to be on a revived Snapchat kick that is included in his Dailyvee. Also, in his 3rd episode of the DailyVee there were some points that made me think this again will be a win of “DJing” the content and draft the ultimate storyteller and executor in Social Media.
Here are some points that hit us from this Daily Vee
- Use of Snapchat can help with more “daily content”
- Gary uses this video to document the current 14.3k views and 136,464 YouTube subscribers he has as a starting point to reference later this year
- Gary’s buddy Michael Lazerow from “Buddy Media” says he is going to do what Gary is doing and hire a videographer
- Gary’s personal trainer Mike Vacanti said he is getting more website traffic, email response ect from being more involved now by this spark
- Gary said the holy grail is working with the right clients and THIS my friends is a major key (been living this model myself since 2009 and best thing I have done to grow my internet business and become self made)
- Gary mentions in a Snapchat business interview that companies/brands currently will not spend hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to do 7 videos/3 pics on snapchat 5-7 days a week 365 for Snapchat success and execution
- It really takes a TRUE execution and TALENT story to be successful.
- Gary talks about how DJ Khaled uses “boomin” with the Ben the Sneakerdon so he learns and adapts from the best and has D Rock saying yup
- Gary said he is solely focused on Snapchat because he has never seen so much attention since 2007 Twitter
- Gary says to his partners at Brave Ventures he is OBSESSED with Snapchat
- Gary points out to his partners at Brave Ventures his TWITTER has never been so on fire since using Snapchat recently with this latest DJ Khaled kick
- Gary is paying attention to DJ Khaled and mentioned how Kim Kardashian is about to hit snapchat
- Gary mentions we have about a year (this year) before everyone and their mother are on it in 2017, 2018…
- DJ Khaled is the Ashton Kutcher moment for Twitter
- Going to CES is a major growth hack to sales meetings
- Gary is building this story about how he is right on Snapchat (when he said instagram would be bought by Facebook)
- Gary talks about how he can be the Tai Lopez of sorts by stopping all his content and charging 5k month for a mastermind marketing group university of sorts but doesn’t because he can do “both” but he can also win a lot bigger if Snapchat wins since hes an investor with RSE Ventures
So here is the third and monumental episode of the Dailyvee leave a comment or let us know what you think…