Gary Vaynerchuk just announced his partnership with a sports agency to create VaynerSports to add his social media and digital agency zest to sports athletes career and future. Vayner Sports is going to be “the best provider of value to human beings”. Gary said this is a ten year play and will let the chips fall based on the market conditions when it comes to percentages agencies get coming down.
Watching Gary for so long this seems to also be another play towards his goal of buying the NY Jets and getting more entrenched in the sports industry. He took one step closer to that when he started the RSE fund with the owner of the Miami Dolphins Stephen Ross.
Although as Darren Rovell points out you can’t own a sports team when you own a sports agency and asked if that is why it’s a ten year play because that is the time Gary thinks he will buy the NY Jets. Gary said that isn’t the factor for his “ten year” play but was just using that to show again it’s a marathon for him and not a sprint in all of his businesses and life.
Some of the reason sports athletes will want to be repped by Vayner Sports Gary mentioned was; (examples)
- Getting them more value and money on their exit from sports vs. when they were in sports
- Helping them with getting better sponsored deals
- Possible $15k keynotes
- Helping launch a podcast and getting it sponsored
- Getting them in social media investments like a snapchat or musical.ly
- People knowing and following Gary Vaynerchuk’s success over the years in the wine and social media industry could possibly draw “aunts, dads, uncles” to say to their up and coming young athletes you need to go talk to Gary and VaynerSports and get repped by them.
Towards the end they mentioned Drew Rosenhaus is basically “buying contracts” in comparison.
We were going to embed the Facebook video of the announcement but for some reason it’s “broken or the video was removed”..
As you can see from Gary’s tweets this was the link to video in case it does come back up.
Update: Gary just sent out a Tweet with a new edited video here
Here is the new edited video by Drock’s camera vs. Darren’s live stream first take.
UPDATED! December 3rd, 2016 Vayner Sports signs Jalen Reeves-Maybin